At Health Poverty Action USA, we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy explains when and why we collect personal information about you, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others, how we keep it safe and secure and your rights and choices in relation to your information.
Any questions regarding this policy and our privacy practices should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing us at our address under ‘Contact Us’.
Specific privacy notices for the following can be found linked below; Health Poverty Action USA supporters, Advocacy & Research Participants, Consultant and Suppliers, Job Applicants, Program Participants, HPA Staff, Board members, Volunteers.
Types of data we process
We hold many types of data about you, including:
- Personal data such as name, address and personal relationships
- Electronic data such as email address and phone number
- Transactional and financial data such as donation history
- Consent and marketing information such as opt-ins and preferences
- Photos and videos that you have shared or from events you may have attended
Where appropriate, we will make it clear why we are collecting this type of information and what it will be used for.
How we collect your data
We collect data in a number of different ways:
- Primarily we collect data directly from you, starting at the first point of engagement. This could be when you donate online, sign a petition or attend an event.
- Occasionally, we may receive your data from third parties, such as independent event organizers, for example, fundraising sites like Just Giving.
- When you visit our website, we automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the type of device you’re using, the IP address, browser and operating system being used to connect your computer to the internet. This information may be used to improve the services we offer.
- Information about your visit to this website, for example we collect information about pages you visit and how you navigate the website, i.e. length of visits to certain pages, products and services you viewed and searched for, referral sources (e.g. how you arrived at our website).
- We collect and use your personal information by using cookies on our website – more information can be found on our Cookies Policy.
- If you give information on behalf of someone else you must ensure that you have their permission to do so and that they have been provided with this privacy notice before doing so.
- If you are under 16 please do not provide us with any of your information unless you have the permission of your parent or guardian.
We will only process your data if it meets one of the following requirements:
- Where is it necessary for us to fulfil a contract with you (for example, when you make a donation) or fulfil a legal obligation (such as for tax purposes).
- If you have if you have explicitly given us consent do so, for instance in the case of emails or SMS text messages
- When it is in our legitimate interest for us to do so. If you support our work, we will share marketing communications, such as newsletters and annual reviews, via post or, occasionally, telephone unless you have told us not to send you these.
You can change your preferences at any time by emailing email@example.com.
Why we process your data
It’s important to us that we provide excellent stewardship to all our supporters, tailored to your needs and preferences to ensure you are receiving the most relevant communications from us.
We collect and use the information you provide us with to engage with you about our work through marketing communications such as newsletters and annual reviews. If you are happy to receive these communications you will hear about our latest news, information about the communities you have supported around the world, and opportunities to support further in both financial and non-financial ways (for example, by taking part in fundraising events or campaign actions, or supporting an emergency appeal). You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive marketing communications from us, which you can do by selecting the relevant opt-out boxes on the forms where your information is collected. We may also use your phone number for verification purposes.
We may also use your data to analyze your personal information so that we can tailor and target our communications in a way that is timely and relevant to you.
The information you provide us with also helps us manage your donations or requests, which could include administrative communications such as confirming your donation or bank details (you will receive administrative communications even if you chose not to hear from us through marketing communications).
Special categories of data
We do not collect any special category data on our supporters except for a record of your opinions if you have signed a petition or been involved with our advocacy work. Where we hold it, we will only use your special category data for the explicit purpose for which it was requested.
We must process special categories of data in accordance with more stringent guidelines. Most commonly, we will process special categories of data when the following applies:
- you have given explicit consent to the processing
- we must process the data in order to carry out our legal obligations
- we must process data for reasons of substantial public interest
- you have already made the data public.
Sharing your data
We will not sell, rent or share your personal information with any third parties for marketing or commercial purposes.
We will not share your data with others unless required to do so by law, or in the prevention of fraud or another crime.
On occasion, it is more cost-effective and efficient for us to use a third party to deliver a service on our behalf, where we do not have the capacity or resources to do this in-house. This might include securely processing online donations, or using local mailing houses to print and send our newsletter and annual reviews to you. Where we use third parties for these activities we only share the personal information required to deliver the service and have a contract in place with these suppliers to ensure they have the appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal data and not to use it for their own marketing purposes.
Protecting your data
We take looking after your information very seriously. We’ve implemented appropriate physical, technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information we have under our control, both on and off-line, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction and loss.
Unfortunately the transmission of information using the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information sent to us this way, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to our site.
Our websites may contain links to other sites. While we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by other sites. Please be aware that advertisers or websites that have links on our site may collect personally identifiable information about you. This privacy statement does not cover the information practices of those websites or advertisers.
Any debit or credit card details which we receive on our website are passed securely to Fundraise Up, our payment processing partner, according to the Payment Card Industry Security Standards.
How long we keep your data for
We will keep your personal data for as long as we consider it necessary to carry out each processing activity. There are number of factors that determine how long we will keep your data for, for example, we are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory and regulatory obligations (e.g. health/safety or tax purposes). We review our retention periods on a regular basis.
Under US data protection law, you have certain rights over the personal information that we hold about you.
If you want to exercise any of your rights, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at our address listed in ‘Contact Us’.
Changes to this notice
Any changes we may make to this policy in the future will be posted on this website so please check this page occasionally to ensure that you’re happy with any changes. If we make any significant changes we’ll make this clear on this website.
We keep this policy under regular review. This policy was last updated in November 2022.